Film simulation for old Kodak Gold 35mm for Fujifilm X-Trans IV cameras
I like to follow groups and tags for 35mm film and analog photography. Seeing how people use old film stock is inspiring and gives me motivation to try and achieve similar looks with Fujifilm film simulation recipes.
As well as lots of Portra film, I often see Kodak Gold and especially people shooting with old rolls they find unopened for several years. Images with these were the inspiration for this recipe, using Classic Negative and a strong aged retro feel, like you see with expired or out of date film rolls.
USER PHOTOS – You can now view the Classic Gold User Gallery to see photos taken by other Fujifilm photographers like you in their own styles and locations.
Classic Gold Film Recipe
- Simulation: Classic Negative
- Grain Effect: Weak, Small
- Colour Chrome Effect: Weak
- Colour Chrome Blue: Off
- White Balance: Auto
- WB Shift: +6 Red, -6 Blue
- Dynamic Range: DR400
- Highlights: -1.5 (use -2 if your cameras doesn’t have -1.5)
- Shadows: +0.5 (use 0 if your cameras doesn’t have +0.5)
- Colour: -4
- Sharpness: -1
- ISO Noise Reduction: -4
- Clarity: 0
- EV compensation: +1/3
Skin Tones with Classic Gold
I get quite a few requests to see skin tones with my film recipes. After much resistance, I have begun to take selfies so you can at least see how the tones work out, even if you have to look at pictures of me!
More Kodak Gold
Kodak Gold was such a popular film that it’s no surprise to find several film recipes that look to mirror it and the feel of it.
- Gold Standard – my take on Kodak Gold with Pro Neg Standard
- Kodak Gold – a Classic Chrome version of Kodak Gold
Kodak Gold on other recipe sites
- Kodak Gold – a bold saturated Kodak Gold from Piotr Skrzypek
- Kodak Gold 200 – Ritchie Roesch’s Gold with Classic Chrome
- Kodak Gold v2 – another version from Ritchie at Fuji X Weekly
You can also view my category page for Kodak inspired recipes.
For more film recipes with a similar ‘out of date’ photo look, here are a few other recipes in a similar style.