Whilst many of us might perfer a never ending golden hour, some days are just cloudy and the light can be dull. These conditions can be more challenging for photography, but the lack of harsh contrast and the way colours can look richer open up new opportunities. Whilst not designed for overcast weather, here are the film recipes that I have found work quite well on cloudy days.
Join the fun! The Film Recipes Facebook Group is a great place to chat film recipes, or share photos you’ve taken with the recipes. The Karmachroma challenge is on. Shoot with Karmachroma and share by Sun, Oct 2nd. Everyone is welcome to share photos from around the world. A selection will be added to the site. Let’s go!
Overcast Day Recipes from Other Sites
Here’s a selection of some of the recipes by others that you may get great results on a cloudy day.
- Creamy Color – Captn Look’s choice for bad weather days
- Grizzly Ride – Gritty and retro with Bleach Bypass. By Captn Look
- Positive Film – Punchy and colourful, from Fuji X Weekly
- Fujicolor NPS Pulled – Muted, low contrast, by Thomas Schwab
- Pushed CineStill 800T – Embrace the colour tone, Fuji X Weekly
- Echo Chrome – Soft & versatile by Craig Bergonzoni