As you’ll be able to tell by the number of beach and boats photos on this site, I live near the English coast, where are there is always something happening on the water. Whether this is sailing, swimming, a passing cruise ship, or the latest craze, SUP (or stand-up paddleboarding), it’s a good source of photographic subject matter.
With all that blue water around me, it’s natural that at least some of my recipes will be designed to work well for life on the water.This one, which I’ve called Fuji Five-O, brings out the blues in a scene, with creamy neutrals and, because it’s based on Classic Negative, those print style greens.
It uses a fixed colour temperature, negative clarity and soft tone curve, which adds to the aesthetic throughout the day, giving a pale softness to golden hour, and keeping blues prominent, which I personally really like.
Fuji Five-O Film Recipe
- Simulation: Classic Negative
- Grain Effect: Weak, Small
- Colour Chrome Effect: Off
- Colour Chrome Blue: Strong
- White Balance: 5000K
- WB Shift: -1 Red, -4 Blue
- Dynamic Range: DR200
- Highlights: -1
- Shadows: -2
- Colour: -2
- Sharpness: 0
- ISO Noise Reduction: -4
- Clarity: -2
- EV compensation: 0
Fuji Five-O at Night
I recently took a couple of shots of our tennis club at night. I took these as RAW files, so I could test how various film recipes looked in dark/street conditions.
More recipes for use on the coast
Here are some of the other recipes on this site that were designed for, or would work well on the coast.
- Oceanic 815 – rich ocean blues for life on the island
- Blanko Bleach – for dramatic seascapes with Bleach Bypass
- Kodak Portra 66 – for creamy Portra beach tones
- Eterna Lakeside – with a boost to blue tones
- Diamond White – for a unique ocean tone aesthetic
Here are a handful from other sites too.
- Pacific Blues – somewhat similar to this, from FujiXWeekly
- Kodak Brilliance – bring out the blues, again from FXW
- Kodak Ektar – rich and contrasty, from Piotr Skrzypek
- Kodak Ultramax – so much like 35mm prints, from Piotr Skrzypek