Rich toned film simulation recipe using Eterna for X-T4, X100V, X-E4 and X-S10
One of the real treats in making this film recipes site, is when I get to share a guest recipe with you. I really love this one, and I’m so happy to include it.
Grant Teng lives in Manila, Philippines, and has developed a rich and characterful film recipe that uses Eterna Cinema. He’s chosen a fixed colour temperature, which suits outdoor and sunny photography, and keeps a consistent look across images if you include interior shots in a series.
Additional character is added with strong grain, strong chrome effects, pushed highlights and +2 sharpness. I love the result, which you can see below in these photos taken in the Bonifacio Global City area of Metro Manila. As well as the lush feel from the recipe, Grant has taken some of the images with a Nikkor 50mm f1.4 on his X-T4.
Photo credits: Grant Teng
Manila Sun Film Recipe
- Simulation: Eterna/Cinema
- Grain Effect: Strong, Large
- Colour Chrome Effect: Strong
- Colour Chrome Blue: Strong
- White Balance: 6250K
- WB Shift: -1 Red, -3 Blue
- Dynamic Range: DR100
- Highlights: +2.0
- Shadows: +0.5
- Color: +4
- Sharpness: +2
- ISO Noise Reduction: -4
- Clarity: 0
- EV compensation: 0
Testing Manila Sun in the UK
I was drawn to Grant’s recipe by the way it captured the tropical latitude sunlight and brought out the tones of the urban environment. However, where I live, I don’t have either of these things, so wanted to test it our in the forests and fields.
More Eterna Film Recipes for City Walks
The Eterna film simulation is traditionally used by cinematographers for making movies, but the addition as a photo preset to Fujifilm cameras opens up a range of cinematic styles with a soft movie-like look. Here’s a selection of Eterna recipes to explore on your next city walk.
- Street Romance – warm and stylish street recipe by Captn Look
- GAF 500 – a gritty recipe, great for urban shots, by Ritchie Roesch
- Cine 2046 – movie inspired soft urban tones, by Ivan Cheam
- Urbex Cinematic – my Eterna recipe for urban exploration
- Vintage Mood – warm tones Eterna recipe, for urban and nature