Kodak Portra film simulation recipe for Fujifillm cameras using Eterna
For this recipe, I was inspired by an Instagram that I follow, expiredbren who posts a really great set of images with Portra and Gold films, and sometimes expired rolls too.
In some of his recent images (June & July ’22), he’s been posting classic VWs, and I just love the tones of the images. This green Beetle is one of his IG shots, go follow him for more.
In this film recipe, I wanted to try and achieve a similar look, so I came up with an Eterna based set-up that I call, Aged Kodak Portra.
I’ve done some test shots in a variety of situations, and I think this recipe is at least similar to the wonderfully warm and faded look in Bren’s images.
Aged Kodak Portra Film Recipe
- Simulation: Eterna/Cinema
- Grain Effect: Off
- Colour Chrome Effect: Weak
- Colour Chrome Blue: Weak
- White Balance: Fluorescent 1
- WB Shift: -3 Red, -5 Blue
- Dynamic Range: DR200
- Highlights: +1
- Shadows: -0.5 (use -1 if your camera does’t have -0.5)
- Colour: -2
- Sharpness: -1
- ISO Noise Reduction: -4
- Clarity: 0 (or use -2 for a subtle bloom effect)
- EV compensation: +2/3
More Soft Looks
I have a fondess for the old tone style and love soft contrast and lower saturation. It appears in several of my recipes, some of which are similar to this one.
- Arthouse Cinema – a similar look, also based on Eterna
- Rosa Negative – with a soft orange tint and muted tones
- Eterna Nostalgia – a retro look with Eterna Cinema
- Fading Memory – soft & nostalgic brown and green tones
- Soft Chrome – a classic look with softer tones
More Portra Recipes
If it’s Kodak Portra that you like to shoot with, here are some other Portra inspired recipes to enjoy.
- Kodak Portra Daily – a summery take on Kodak Portra 160
- Kodak Portra 66 – peachy cream hints for a Porta summer
- Kodak Portra – the classic Kodak Portra 160 look
- Kodak Portra Grainy – slightly gritty Portra 400 vibes
- FujiXWeekly’s Kodak Portra 160 recipe
- FujiXWeekly’s Kodak Portra 400 recipe (v2)
- FujiXWeekly’s Kodak Portra 800 recipe
- Piotr Skrzypek’s Kodak Portra 160 recipe